Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Lisbon, Portugal

In a small cabin sharing with three other men, it was not an easy task. Train left at 10:30 p.m. and arrived in Lisbon at 8:15 a.m. I did not sleep well. I shared with an American student from Orange County, a circus performer from Canada and a retired pharmacist from Spain. I slept on the top bunk and my feet hung over by three feet or so…I do not know how they expect you to sleep on a train like that…

I checked in with Vanda Dias….she rented me a room. She is bright and very caring. She lives about twenty minutes from Lisbon. Although, I was very sleepy and tired, I ventured in and checked in some of the sites…I came across a young woman named, Vania. She is a student of nursing. We sat along the pier looking at the river and talked for two hours.

As I walked back into town, I came across a young man by the name of Vania. I had asked him if he knew where a shopping mall was... where I could buy an electrical adapter for another electrical adapter (please do not ask me to explain). He not only pointed me in the direction of the store but he went with me to several stores until I found the adapter I needed. It took about an hour and a half. I was overwhelmed and humbled by the fact that someone would take that much time out of his day to help me. I did not know how to show my appreciation. I was in awe of this man. This adaptor would help me in recharging my battery for my camera, lap top and cellular phone…

On Tuesday, I left on the train to Sintra which is about twenty miles north-west of Lisbon, there I toured a castle and walked through some of the ancient city. I met many Americans on that small trip. One was a musician who was a native of Boston and a Red Sox fan….We had an enjoyable conversation until he mentioned baseball. I told him that I was a Dodger fan and he asked me what I thought of the Dodgers firing Paul De De podesta. I asked him what he thought of George W. Bush of being granted the White House in 2000. He said come on, I am serious. I told him, so was I!

I told him that they both recruited to do a job who never had the qualifications to do and and furthermore, the final parties who hired them never had the expe

No comments: